Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Paper Covers Rock


If we were a game,
Our console wouldn’t need HD graphics
Dozens of handguns, grenades, or shields
We do not play deathmatches, but I yield
To you. To your clockwise quarter circle punch button
Special move.
To your T-virus busting, quick time event trigger finger
Hard pressed and pressing harder,
Making each bullet stronger
Until you’ve lost the life behind the screen
Died a million deaths, fragged a thousand more
Saved the princess and the toads at the end
Of a nine dungeon tour

Kept armies on the floor with your DPS
Beat the extra-hard computer at Windows Chess
And I have been impressed by less and less
Than this.

Love, let’s make a party.
I’ll be your elven priest
You can be the half-demon knight tank
We can play the pegs at Cracker Barrel
Black and red Checkers on the front porch at home
When your constitution gets low,
I’ll cast ‘Dinner and a Night Alone.’
You’ve always been too tough to cut into
But I know you’re not made of stone.

When we first met,
I covered up your rocky edges
With my flat-hand paper.
They wonder how the surly rock
Could ever be beaten by a wind-blown sheet
But I know for a fact
The rock writes with sediment
Outside the paper's wrapping lines

Until his jagged bones are smooth again,
The paper has a few prideful holes,
And they can love.


Without any clear victor.

2 comments:

  1. So, I am one of the founders of Word is Born and I happened across this page a few minutes ago thinking "Hmm, this blog has the same name as a group a started a few years back. Let me check this out." Lemme find out it is one and the same...

    Wow. First off, this whole blog is brilliant. Second, the poet and nerd in me is blown away by this piece in particular.

    Please please please keep up the good work and post more! I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As yet another member from the early days of Word, I am also incredibly impressed by the blog and the quality of writing in general. Well done, all!

    The Critique: I have heard you perform pieces that I have seen on paper, and I think that your punctuation is still not where it needs to be at all times. You definitely take a step back to breathe at a few points where there is not punctuation, and there should be. I also think that the chosen line breaks are really good, but could be better - I like to think of line breaks (personally) as that punch in the gut effect. Try shifting your line breaks around to different places and see what you come up with. Otherwise, your imagery was clean and well-presented and your point was more than made.

    The Praise: This piece. Scott, you know how hard I fan-girl for your imagery, and this is no exception! You have a beautiful rhythm and a growing mastery of line breaks which I admire and respect (read: fear). You are so wonderful at expressing your heart in a not-sappy, easily related way; it really makes me respect (read: worship) you as an artist that much more. Definitely keep that sassy little quirk in your writing, it gives it a very deep soul.

    As always, well done, good sir!

    ReplyDelete