Search This Blog

Monday, September 23, 2013

Abusive Muse

Abusive Muse

When I look at you
I don’t know what to do
You are so bright
Singeing my eyelids
But I can’t look away
I’m forced to hold your gaze
Captivated in me
The closest a man can get
Impregnated

Not a madwoman in an attic
But a madman in a basement
I have to descend to your level
Spiral staircase so steep
I slip and descend into your deep
More rabbithole than hellhole
Satan is there for someone else
And so is the Mad Hatter
My muse is not a caffeinated 
Tipsy tea drinker teeter-totter

My muse has been known to
Crash tea parties with liquor parties
Saving the hardest stuff for himself
Among other things
He’s in the backroom
Amid a cyclone of cigarette smoke
Clouding an inscrutable face
But you can see the fiery grin
That makes women swoon
And cross their thighs
As he keeps them entertained
They want a better look to please him
He thinks they are cute when sedated
And inebriated

His eyes are windows
Obscuring dynamite explosions
Yet you wonder with curiosity
Just what goes on beyond those windowshades
Impeccable tar black tuxedo
The charismatic dynamo
From the masked dynamic temper
Emerges temperamental poetry
From an uneven temperament 

When I suppress him with medication
I give him an elevator
So he can work with me
For as long as I can stand him
You can only let something burn so much
Before getting out the fire extinguisher
But God help me if he’s fully functioning
Because he steals my steering wheel
Shit goes south from there
Not too far but far enough
To not want to go further

We have an uneven truce
I keep my white handkerchief
In my back pocket
Just in case he is feeling nasty
He wants to meet me in bars
Behind a fresh pool cue
I want to meet him at my computer
Among the chatter of keys
And the beat of my heart

Things don’t always work out
But we can’t fight out loud
I need the self-control to contain him.
To hide this strange Hyde
But I hear him in my audible brain
The cavern of my head
Loud and clear and quite insane
Wanting to wrest control of this ship
That I hope is headed for the sunset
But now headed towards the moon
Close enough I guess

With the midnight stars in our mind’s eye

No comments:

Post a Comment