Search This Blog

Monday, September 23, 2013

Seashell

She woke up screaming.
Hands grasping at the ceiling,
she cat-yowled gritty euphemisms
through exposed gnashing bones.
I told her
that dreams have a funny way of turning on you,
I know.
I remember that war.

She said,
I have had one great love
in my life.
It was my great white whale,
so gently malicious,
so epic and small.
Small-breasted and radiant,
she heaved into my palms,
“I still dream about him”
like I was supposed to balance the equation
for her.

She said,
I was so pissed
to be the second girl.
She wanted to be the hour girl,
the days weeks months years
reset your calendar girl,
the plural form of everything girl,
the we our you and I
to eye hand in hand
every strand of your hair memorized girl.
she wanted to learn his favorite food,
his favorite lullaby,
she wanted to only ever hear stories about his
favorite goodbye.
I held her hand
through the honesty
and the shrapnel,
felt her rollicking waves crash
cymbal gentle on my Casper knees.
She fell right through me,
like I was the memory.

Through the dark hours,
I watched her,
my lips blue and cracked.
Her eyes held the ceiling up;
her hands wrung me out of thin air.

So I stopped.
Turned.


Breathed.


The scales were never
in my favor.
I could never hope to compete
with that kind of grief.
 
When she licks her lips and 
tastes heartbreak,
there I will be,
reminding her that the sound of my voice
is tidal.
I will tell her,
when the seashell is pressed to her ear,

I have loved you more
than most,
and I will love you most
of more
and greater than great.

and I will hope that
just once
she hears me.

No comments:

Post a Comment